The statistics surrounding violence against them are nothing less than staggering and extracts a significant toll on our community:
• The Chicago Police Department receives over 500 domestic violence related 911 calls each day;
• Every nine seconds a woman is beaten by her intimate partner;
• 8.8 million children witness domestic violence each year;
• 1 in 3 teens has experienced dating violence and only 25 % of those teens will tell someone;
• Domestic violence healthcare related expenses exceed $5.8 billion annually; and
• Domestic violence costs businesses over $1.8 billion each year.
Between Friends was founded as a response to this pervasive violence. The agency provides the following services, free of charge:
• A 24-hour, toll-free, state-wide domestic violence Crisis Line (1-800-603-HELP);
• Individual and group counseling for women and children;
• Court advocacy services (in Chicago and its northwest suburbs);
• The R.E.A.C.H. (Relationship Education: A Choice for Hope) Healthy Teen Relationship Program – the largest such program in the state; and
• Healthcare and community education programs.
In fiscal year 2008, Between Friends served close to 10,000 individuals through these innovative programs and services.
In 2009, the number of women and children needing our services will grow. By sponsoring The Bubble Ball, you are not only helping Between Friends fulfill its mission of breaking the cycle of domestic violence and abuse, but also leveraging your corporate philanthropy to gain greater community exposure and positive press.